Friday, December 7, 2007

Hail to the Native Americans!

The Redskins/Bears game last night was the first time I've been to an NFL game since Ronnie Lott was on the Jets.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Fed Ex Field is eh, ok. I expected more. It's a big football stadium. Yeah, I get that. It's very big. It holds a lot of people. A lot of people can attend games there. It's - dare I say? - big. Okay. But what else? It's a very enclosing stadium, very impersonal. It has no character. Kind of like Dan Snyder.

2. The Redskins played very well. When you look at this team on paper, with the names they have, they could be a deep playoff team. Last night, they played like it. Shawn Springs picked two balls on consecutive throws in two drives. Portis broke for a long run after a short reception. Cooley dominated deep. They played as well as they look on paper. And I saw most of it through the small hole of vision I allowed myself when I pulled my sweatshirt hood as tight as it would go.

3. It was f'ing cold out. I am still thawing out from four hours in below freezing weather last night. I honestly worried if I would be able to keep my toes. Seriously, I've never felt colder for a longer period of time. I felt like the Red Sox during their 86 years of not winning baseball games.

4. I'm still not sold on the team's name. Pardon me, but isn't "Redskin" just a wee bit racist? If the team name were attacking any other group of people, it wouldn't be allowed. Somehow it's ok though to name your team after the ridiculously offensive term for Native Americans. I'm not trying to be all high and mighty, but I think I have a point here. And while we're on the subject, do you think there are any Native Americans who are actually Redskins fans? And if so, are they shunned by their communities? These are the thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools.

5. Red Skin fans don't like Dallas. This was evidenced by the countless "Dallas Sucks!" chants that broke out during the game. And they weren't even playing Dallas!!! It's just like Red Sox fans with the Yankees. You don't like them. Understood. But doesn't it demean your team when instead of cheering for them, you're cheering against a team who's not even playing? Jeez!

6. What's up with the fight song and marching band? What is this, Redskins University? Once you leave the NCAA, you forfeit your right to a fight song and band. The funny thing was listening to the fans scream the fight song on the way down the ramp after the game. No one knew the words. All they knew was "Braves on the war path. Fight for Old DC!" After that everything turned to mumbles until someone else screamed "Braves on the war path!" again. If you're going to have a fight song, you can at least learn the words to it. That's the whole point of having it in the first place. But seriously, just don't have one at all. It's bush league.

7. This was Injury Bowl 2007. First Grossman went down with a leg injury. Then Campbell did the same. Cooley was out for a while. It was like someone put everyone on the cover of Madden and then sent them out to play the game.

8. How were the Bears wearing short sleeves? They were dressed like it was July and I was struggling to remain conscious. I guess I'm not as tough as Brian Urlacher after all.

9. I missed not seeing Peyton Manning five times during every time out. Between quarters, I half expected him to sit down next to me and explain why Lipitor might be right for me.

10. Sean Taylor is missed. It was nice to see Skins fans showing support for their fallen hero. People wore #21 hats, ribbons, and jerseys and you contantly heard his name whispered throughout the stadium.

It is now the morning after the game. My feet have defrosted and the Skins are in playoff contention. I'm not really a fan of the Skins but my friends are and I want them to be happy. I'm just thrilled to still have my toes.

2 comments:

Luckett said...

I've actually been to FedEx field, and I must say I thought the crowd was really into it.

Of course, when your team is 5-7 or whatever they are, and the heart and soul of your Defense was just shot in cold blood...then yea you're probably not as loud now as you were when I was there in September.

As far as the chill you felt (reminding you of the "Troubles," as they should be known in Red Sox lore), I'm thinking you should stock up on mittens and hand-warmers. Because as far as the eye can see, there are Red Sox World Series to be won. All we have to do is show up.

Anonymous said...

Nice title and nice line about Peyton Manning and lipitor. I crack up every time you mention Peyton Manning shooting a commercial. It is a joke that will not get old.

Most of your playful jibes against the Redskins I take in good stride, but you gotta be kidding about the fight song. Hail to the Redskins is awesome. And FedEx Field really really sucks as an experience--traffic, nothing great about the stadium, Dan Synder, etc.