Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ralph Friedgen Could Play Point Guard for Duke

I turned on the Duke-Illinois game tonight and the first thing I saw was Greg Paulus dribbling off his foot and then shoving a guy who was driving down the lane. Maybe someday someone will explain to me why they think he is good. I've been saying this for years. He may be one of the worst point guards I've ever seen. He has a habit of passing balls to the fat guy in the second row and routinely dribbles balls off his foot. This year, he's easily the fourth best guard on that team behind Henderson, Nelson, and Scheyer. If he played on Maryland last year, he would have been the fifth best guard at best (Strawberry, Hayes, Vazquez and even Jones were better players than Paulus).

This isn't an "I hate Duke" thing. I have no problem saying how good Redick or Deng or Duhon or Williams were when they played at Cameron. But seriously, this kid can't play basketball. I don't understand it. Duke is one of the premier programs in the country and they get this kid? And trust him? And stick with him? For three years?!? He is playing the most important position for possibly the best program in the country. It would be like the Yankees hiring Steve Bartman as manager. I just don't get it. Paulus was the top quarterback prospect out of high school a few years ago and was recruited to play at Notre Dame. Seeing as how Charlie Weis could use a QB and Coach K already has a trio of talented guards, I'm thinking Paulus might want to consider a move. He will never make the NBA. If he has a shot at the NFL, he should throw all his eggs in that basket and go for it. Then again, the eggs would probably miss the basket and go flying into the crowd.

Results of Dave G's Football Picks for Week 11: 11-5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He can shoot, and Duke has a boner for white shooters.